Sunday, March 2, 2014

Book Review: Rock Chick (#1 Rock Chick) by Kristen Ashley

Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1)Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Find this Review at Taryn Lee's Book Blog

Okay... so don't throw stones but... I greatly disliked this book. So much so that I have no desire to read the rest of the books in the Rock Chick Series. Now before you all go crazy on me and banish me from Goodreads forever, let's get a couple things straight.

1. I love Kristen Ashley a little too much. Dream Man series? Prime. Chaos Series? Hell yeah! But Rock Chick? Super lacking.
2. I went into this with arms wide open and low expectations, but I could not relate with the characters AT ALL.
3. I wanted to like this book so bad, but it just wasn't enough for me.

Basically, Indy Savage is a badass rock chick who pretty much fell in love with Lee Nightingale in the womb. She has ignored him for close to ten years after the very last time he rejected her. So she's done... Well until her barista decides to steal a bunch of money or something (see I was really sure exactly what happened with Rosie and the diamonds was it? Yeah completely confused from the beginning). Now Lee has to help save Indy from bullets. Lee is a total alpha male which I did love because I LOVE ALPHA MALES.

I guess it just wasn't the Kristen Ashley material that I love to pieces. But I realized something after I really thought long and hard about this book... this is one of her very first works, which means her writing keeps improving. I think that's why Dream Man and Chaos are some of my favorite series of books: They were written at a period of time when her writing peaked. Rock chick was one or maybe THE first book she ever wrote.

Rock Chick: 2008 vs Dream Man: 2012... A 4 year difference can mean HUGE for an author's improvements.

Overall, I'm giving this book 3 STARS out of 5 STARS, but do not take my word for it. I went and bought this book and decided let's do this. I gave it an open mind and just didn't like it. An author is going to have at least one book that will make you think meh... and that is this book for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read by Taryn Lee on February 20, 2014
Reviewed by Taryn Lee on March 1, 2014
Taryn Lee's Book Blog on Facebook


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment